Treating Acne scars is very challenging and exciting at the sametime. Many people ask me ‘Whats the best treatment for acne scars?” the truth is there is no single best treatment option. Scars are of different types. Different treatment options work for different scar types and sometimes the treatments may need to be combined for best results. The treatment options include:
- Chemical peels: These are very good options for scars that look like blemishes on the skin. They are flat and brown or black in colour. Several sessions may be needed for optimal results.
- TCA cross: This treatment works for scars which look like large open pores on the face. In this drops of TCA (an acid) are applied on the spots. It is done once a month and results may be seen after 3-4 sessions.
- Microneedling; This works on scars which look like holes on the skin. Multiple sessions are needed and they need to be carried out once a week and is combined with vitamin C tablets for best results.
- LASER: A fractionated LASER is used. This works best for scars which look like holes on the face. This scar treatment leaves a layer of crust on the skin and it is absolutely mandatory to either stay indoors or use a sunscreen very regularly for a month after scar treatment. 3-4 sessions carried out once a month usually has desirable benefits.
- Fillers and botox: These help to cosmetically camouflage the scars. The result is temporary and it is often used when people want immediate benefit like just before marriage.